Your Script of a Real Estate Agent
I know we’re real estate agents, we all hate scripts I mean for the most part its natural to not like scripts just like the first time I played golf it was natural the way I swung it was not natural to like the way that the coach wanted me to swing because it didn’t feel right. It didn’t feel like me it just didn’t fit. However the real challenge is not whether you like the script or not the real challenge is whether it work or not. Learning how to make script work is the real challenge.
number one I know we’re real estate agents we all hate scripts I mean for the most part its natural to not like scripts just like the first time I played golf it was natural the way I swung it was not natural to like the way that the coach wanted me to swing because it didn’t feel right it didn’t feel like me it just didn’t fit however the real challenge is not whether you like them or not the real challenge is whether they work or not and learning how to make them work.
Reality is there are some scripts that just can’t make work and get the results that you want for a very simple reason and that is the wrong things to say because they get you what you don’t want rather than what you do want .
Real Estate Conversations Goal
Let’s talk about scripts that actually work . The goal of every real estate conversations and scripts is to get yes. The goal is to get prospect to say yes to you, to say yes to an appointment, to say yes to a listing to, say yes to working with you to help them buy a house. Whatever the conversation is the goal is always to get them to say yes giving you a referral, whatever it is so that’s the goal. If that’s the goal then we’ve got to make sure that we’re using conversations that lead them toward a yes rather than conversations words and phrases that lead people to say no. Or that lead people to resist saying yes to you
What is the stupid realtor scripts?
Stupid realtor scripts, which means they just don’t work we say them and we say them because sometimes they sound natural. The script what you should not use.
- Don’t use what we call negative frames. A negative frame that is where we take a conversation, or we take a statement we’re going to make and we frame it in a negative way. It means a negative frame is make it as assuming or stating something as if it’s going to get you the result you don’t want. Some examples of negative frames-
- It’s the differences that make one a $30,000 and the other a $300,000 kind of sounds like real estate agent incomes. Two agents both of them can be working hard and one makes thirty thousand a year and another makes three hundred thousand a year or even more. What’s the difference, to pay attention to and find out what is it that doesn’t work and what does work. Understand that those shifts are a lot of times very subtle
- When you understand framing a statement in a negative way that leads you toward a result that you don’t want which is to lead sort of no.
- I’m so sorry to bug you but would you blah blah blah. Why would agent say this? I’m about to ask for business or I’m about to ask for to be able to add value to them or somebody they know whatever. Start out with an apology here’s the assumption here’s the negative frame. The negative frame is I am assuming that what I’m doing is going to upset you and therefore I need to apologize up front now if you are not if you are there to add value to people if you as a real estate professional your goal is to help people get results that they want when it comes to real estate why would you ever apologize for a conversation like that so never start out with never lead with I am so sorry about you.
- Number two- Second negative frame a second thing you don’t want to use is “well I know you’re probably not wanting to sell or move anytime soon” and this is a script you’ve seen, I’m a local real estate agent I know you’re probably not planning to move. okay why would I do that why would I start out expecting a result I don’t want. I’m starting out by leading the conversation toward them not wanting to move. Here’s the law that comes into effectiveness the universal law of you tend to get in life and in relationships and in business and anything you tend to get in life what you expect. What’s happening with negative frames is I’m going in with an expectation that they’re probably not interested in moving so I’m speaking head into the universe I’m speaking that to them that I’m not expecting you to give me a yes. Why would I focus on getting what I don’t want when it’s so much more powerful to focus on getting what I do want so you’re probably not wanting to move forget that.
- ” I know you’re probably sick and tired of hearing from agents right now but blah blah blah” Why would I assume and speak to them that they’re sick and tired because they’re going like will know you’re actually the only this first agent you’re the first or second agent is call me I really wasn’t sick and tired yet but now that you mention it I’m kind of getting sick and tired of you right now again why would I go in expecting that they’re gonna be sick and tired of hearing from me.
- ” I know you’re not going to like to hear” or this I know you’re not going to like to hear this now or this would be a lot of times or this would be one that’s used like in a listing presentation or once you’ve already established relationship. It may be used in negotiating why would I start out by saying okay word this is going to upset you. Don’t expect people to get upset , they’re not going to like it why would I then emphasize the fact that they’re not going to like it so don’t ever lead with a negative frame of you’re not going to like this so this is probably gonna make you mad or whatever never lead with a negative frame it simply does not help you get toward a yes.
- When you’re meeting people and when you want to get their contact information because look getting those contact information is how you really establish your relationship and this is one of the absolute ones ” would you be offended if I asked for your phone number” Would you be terribly offended if I asked for your phone number well I wouldn’t have been but now that you mention it yeah it’s kind of offensive. Again why are we expecting why or we putting it out there that they’re going to be offended by this. Why would you speak into the universe into their subconscious mind though even the idea that they’re going to be offended by what you’re about to ask them. Assume people want to work with you, assume people want to connect with you, assume people want to give you information that will let you add value to them and people they know. Why would I instead assume a negative frame and create into existence something that I don’t want. I hope that makes sense.
What to Say – How to Say and How to Connect?
What’s the right way to do it when you’re having these conversations. What are some right things to do whenever you’re talking to somebody well.
Connecting with customer their, their feelings. Connecting with their thoughts – connecting with their emotions and saying I hear you I feel you I know exactly what you’re saying I understand your emotion whatever that emotion is whether it’s anger annoyance frustration irritation whatever it is.
I get it, I hear you and so repeating and affirming is a way of connecting with people as opposed to leading with people now as opposed to leading people in a direction you don’t want to go so. When they go negative now it’s perfectly appropriate, is it oh I get it oh so you’re feeling this way also this is happening .
When you ask them so I was curious when do you think you might be looking to make a move and they say oh we have no plans to moving. Got it so right now you really have no plans to move good for you now , didn’t create the negative frame of them not wanting to move, simply repeated and affirmed what do they want what they’re thinking and so I’m just a acknowledging with it and I’m literally stepping alongside what they’re feeling so I’m talking to them they say well we have no plans to move I’ll good so you have no plans good for you I’m literally coming alongside them and acknowledging I hear you and I’m excited for you that you feel that way okay so I’m getting on people side and that’s very powerful in connecting with people so the first thing you got to do is connect with people.
In repeating and affirming is one of the most powerful ways to do this . This is a very powerful just a simple strategies of influence a persuasion of learning. How to lead people and influence people in your conversations so I’m going to repeat it affirm what they’re feeling what they’re thinking and simply in doing so simply bring myself alongside them.
The second thing is as we do that as you repeat an affirm especially if it’s somebody that’s gone negative, once you repeat and affirm them then you can reframe the conversation to lead toward a yes.
Get some influence and you can leave the conversation toward the yes. The magic is learn the skills of, What to say? How to say it? As you talk to people engage those opportunities?